Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Le Mieux Est L'ennemi Du Bien




So with the ashes nearly invisible (in conformity with today's gospel), I'm considering Voltaire's insight: "The perfect is the enemy of the good". Setting goals only to fail and become discouraged may happen in part because we won't accept our brokenness. As I tried to encourage my oldest daughter: it isn't how fast we're getting there, it's whether or not we're going in the right direction.

Lenten resolutions are of the same species as New Year's resolutions: commitments to improve ourselves in some specific way. Baby steps as my wife likes to say.

So, don't aim too high. Don't let small failures get you down. Find an area of your life that is a source of unhappiness for you and make a specific resolution to improve it in some way. Forty days will fly by and you will be a (slightly) better person for it.

Daily spiritual reading is my resolution, by the way. Hmmm. More reading, where have I seen that before?

No comments: