Friday, February 22, 2008

Enquiring Minds Want to Know

Why is the title Ephemeris? First off, I spent four years in high school studying Latin. I learned more about English grammar there than in all of the English classes I took. Of course, I can't speak or read Latin any more. It's on my list of things to do: revive my Latin and read something interesting in that language.



Secondly, I'm a bit of a snob (you hadn't noticed, had you?) and Latin titles for blogs just seem more interesting. Ephemeris was the first choice in my dictionary for "journal". So that made that easy.



And, finally, the idea that any writing I would do here would be of passing interest, not great or meaningful was haunting me as I contemplated starting a blog. I didn't and don't consider that this is of lasting importance to anyone. So the association of Ephemeris with ephemeral was the clinching point. So, now you know...


Writing the blogibus: "

Scriptorium ponders the question that has kept many a Catholic blogger awake at night: 'What are the Latin words for the noun ‘blog’ and the verb ‘blogging’? Would blogis and blogere be appropriate?' Read the possible answers.

"



(Via Insight Scoop | The Ignatius Press Blog.)

No comments: