Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Reading is Good for You

Sophie's World is now done. It was a bit of trial, since I was working so much. But with my friend encouraging me I kept at it. And my nephew had read it too, though it was too dry for him. Thoroughly modernist in viewpoint, the author nevertheless does touch on a number of major figures in the History of Philosophy. Don't try it if you find Philosophy completely and irredeemably boring. Otherwise it is good exercise for the brain.

Before I see my friend again, probably on Saturday, I'm trying to get into Phillip Johnson's Reason in the Balance The Case Against Naturalism in Science, Law & Education. My friend and I have tentatively agreed to choose some beginner's book on philosophy to read and discuss. Given his thoroughly modern viewpoint, this should prove interesting.

No comments: