Thursday, September 06, 2007

Trials

So, trying a 30-day version of the new MarsEdit is an excuse to come out of my self-imposed silence. When last heard from, I was struggling through my introductory English course. Well, the results are in: A-. That means a GPA of 3.67. As this is likely to be the pinnacle of my academic career, I promptly took the family out for a celebratory sushi. We're mad about sushi here in the Lower Mainland.

The Labour Day weekend saw me at a local chess tournament. I did well enough against those under twelve years of age with ratings at least two hundred points below mine: two for two. But, when Momma (really, the mother of victim number one) met me in the round following her ten-year-old's humiliation, it was a different story. Still, I got a draw against a gentleman rated 250 points above me, so I hope my rating will go up a little. It was strange to feel pleased with some of my losses, though. I made players rating far above me, including Momma, sweat to earn their points.

It was nice to win a prize for my efforts, as well. Ok, it was the lowest possible prize, second place in the under-1600 class. (I don't count the Unrated category as lowest; there are too many natural players hidden in there.) And I had to share it with two other budding genius's--both are looking forward to high school some day. But it paid for my new tournament chess set. And the wife was actually impressed when she saw it. Keep in mind she has no use for chess, and only views chess sets as potential decorations. So, her being pleased at the value obtained in an otherwise un-decorative set was the icing on the cake.

Yesterday was the first day in this term's course: Moral Philosophy. Since the previous course was online, this was my first visit to a classroom in over a quarter of a century. So, I fully expected to be older than the rest of the class. And I was not entirely surprised to be older than the Professor. But, when he mentioned his PhD in Philosophy, it did bring back memories of youthful dreams of just such an academic career for myself. In any case, it seems obvious I'm going to have to be more disciplined to do well in this course. At least the Professor won't have as much trouble remembering my name: Oh yeah, the old fart in the last row.

The youngest is having a shower now, so I'll have to get my act together, so I can have mine and go to work. Maybe I should make a resolution to post a blog entry once a week. Oh, right, again.

No comments: