Friday, February 13, 2009

Eternal Rome

I recently told my daughters, in a brief mood of maudlin sentimentality, that my idea of heaven would be to wander around Rome with my wife. Our nine-day stay there in 2005 left quite an impression obviously. And now we're going again, this time for only six days.


The eighteen day cruise preceding it is what's exciting her. I'm a little cruised out, though. But planning the stay in Rome is helping me get over my usual pre-vacation jitters. We got a Scavi tour booked early on. That will take us to the burial place of St. Peter far beneath the main altar. Now, thanks to Joan Lewis, we're also requesting a tour of the Vatican Gardens. Wish us luck on that.

Other must-sees include the Santa Croce, Santa Maria in Trastevere, the Ecstasy of Saint Teresa by Bernini, San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane by Boromini, and a return to the Borghese Gallery. And then there's the high point of the stay: celebrating Palm Sunday with the Pope.


We deliberately cut the trip there so we could celebrate the Triduum at home with our family. Now I have to get ready for work. This pilgrimage has to be paid for...

No comments: