Wednesday, August 30, 2006

One Down, Eighty Gazillion to Go

So The Force of Reason (by Oriana Fallaci) is read. It's an intemperate, passionate screed against Muslims in Europe and the Europeans who enable their incivility and cultural aggression. Her passion for the dying of Italian (and by extension, European) culture in the face of barbarous attitudes and practices of Muslim immigrants is a bit overwhelming for someone not used to Italian hyperbole.

The one note that did bother me was her assertion that moderate Muslims are a fantasy. She argues that the Koran is at the heart of Islam (who can argue against that?) and the Mohammed is the ideal Muslim according to the faithful interpreters. Neither of the these condemn violence, encourage love of enemies or respect for women as human beings. If she's right, this is very troubling. How do you establish the primacy of Human Rights in the world if a major force (Islam) in world events denies such rights exist, as such?

Now, inspired by a lakeside conversation on Sunday I've opened up, at last, my copy of Salvation Is From The Jews by Roy H. Schoeman. a Jewish convert to Catholicism. I have to read it myself before I can loan it to my interlocutor.

No comments: