Friday, October 28, 2005

The Four Final Things

I’ve been quiet lately. Partly it’s the effect of multiple twelve-hour shifts on an old(er) mans mind and body. There have been some issues on my mind during this silence, however:

Judges, Death, Life and Beer, not necessarily in that order.

The whole Miers thing down south has been of interest. But as a Canadian I haven’t felt qualified to comment on this peculiarly American sport of selecting a Supreme (Court Justice). But it did stimulate me to think about how Ottawa selects our Supremes. But perhaps we’ll discuss that another time.

Then a co-worker died after a long struggle with cancer. A wonderful, upbeat fellow (and just three weeks older than me). The memorial service was lovely. And his passing got me reflecting on how we deal with the unfairness and fragility of life. There are some people who inspire me with their determination to live fully, Ed and the late Pope among them. May they rest in peace.

And now Lorna’s brother-in-law passed away suddenly on Wednesday. Another good man who was told he had a bad heart in 1990 and forced to retire. He had lived with this threat of death for so long we forgot how close it was. So he laid down for a nap the other day and woke up facing Jesus.

After some agonizing we decided to go as a family to the funeral. So I’ll be in Ohio with the family for a week: celebrating Joe’s life and contemplating his drink of choice : Bud. If they don’t have that in heaven, what will he drink? In any case, I’m confident that in the new earth (Rev. 21:1; cf. Is. 65:17) something very like Spaten Optimator will be flowing copiously.

It’s not a bad thing to think about death. It’s actually sort of important. Avoiding thinking about it certainly isn’t a good strategy. Death is a door. But first you have to live to be able to open it. That’s what I take from these wonderful people. So lift your beverage of choice and say “L’Haim!” (To Life!)

No comments: