Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Looking Back


The Calender shows that today is the feast of the Dedication of the Basilica of Saint John Lateran. This is the Mother Church for Catholics in a way, though most don't know that. It is the official Cathedral of the Bishop of Rome, not the Vatican as you might have assumed.

The picture is of the side entrance that Lorna and I found on a bus trip from the catacombs.




The walk down the Via Appia Antica (itself following an adventure on the Roman Bus system) earlier that day is what I remember fondly.

Anniversaries (like today's feast day) are ways to remember in a structured way that encourage us to move on after the remembrance. Otherwise we risk dwelling in memories and ignoring life going on around us. (I know this is trite, but I'm loathe to pose for pictures and here are two with me smack in the middle of them. More about me and photos another day.)

No comments: