Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Canadian Response to Sexual Abuse

I’ve made only limited comments on the homosexuality and priesthood issues that are currently dominating a lot of blog discussions. And I saw, somewhere, a reference to this study, phrased negatively something like “task force study released yesterday reports on recommendations from 1992 that were never implemented based, in turn, on a report from 1989”.

Some Canadians, I fear, have a reflexive reaction to things American to the effect that “well, we’re better than that”. It ain’t necessarily so, brothers and sisters.

Lifesite News talks about the report to the Canadian Bishops. The idea that we don’t have problems here in Canada seems to be false. I do agree that someone in authority in the Church should link these problems to “homosexuality” and “dissent” at some point, if not in this specific report.

I don’t agree that pressure from the faithful is called for, however. I believe we get the priests we deserve, by and large. We don’t need to be pressuring the church, we need to be getting on our knees and asking, no, begging, forgiveness for our tepid faith. See Revelations for God’s attitude towards the lukewarm:

         “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would
        that you were cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm,
        and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth.
        For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing;
        not knowing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and
        naked. Therefore I counsel you to buy from me gold refined
        by fire, that you may be rich, and white garments to clothe
        you and to keep the shame of your nakedness from being
        seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see.
        Those whom I love, I reprove and chasten; so be zealous
        and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any
        one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him
        and eat with him, and he with me. ‘”
                Rev. 3:15-20

A people living a vibrant faith cannot help but produce good priests. The priests we complain about now came from amongst us in the first place.

Thanks to Gregory Popcak of Heart Mind and Strength for the reminder.

No comments: