Thursday, March 20, 2008

Certainty and Doubt

One of the threads in our on-line philosophy course is on Certainty and Doubt. I have taken the position that epistemic certainty is only possible about things that are trivially true or relatively unimportant: The Law of Identity ("a = a"), 1 + 1 = 2, and so on. But I'm not arguing that nothing is knowable or that doubt trumps all beliefs or knowledge. Moral certainty is what we normally define as the sufficient, reasonable certainty to act on; doubt being possible, but not reasonable.


The following is interesting in light of that discussion:

“Plagued by Certainty”: "

Another excellent post by Joe Carter. Here’s a taste:


I don’t doubt that God exists or that the Bible is his Word. I don’t doubt that Jesus was born of a virgin, that he died and was buried, or that he rose again after three days in the tomb. I don’t doubt that he died for me, a truly wretched sinner, or that I will spend eternity in His presence. I would find it easier to doubt my own existence than to doubt the Nicene Creed. Maybe I’m delusional (though I doubt that) but I have few doubts about my faith.

"



(Via Southern Appeal.)

No comments: