Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Life Becomes More Earnest

The "getting to know you" phase of the English course is over. Now I actually have to read, study, and write. While learning the art of essay writing we are reading exemplars of the art form.

Our first read is George Orwell"s Shooting An Elephant. I've read one other Orwell essay derived from his experiences in British East India: A Hanging. Real cheerful this is.

And since I'm playing in the Keres Memorial this long weekend, I'll have to have my essay uploaded before I leave for work on Friday afternoon. Nothing like a little time pressure to stimulate action.

The first step was to re-read the on-line documents for this week. The next was to clear off my desk in the bedroom (away from the computer, my ipod and the tv). And, finally, to actually read the reading assignments for the first time. This evening I'll try to start taking notes on the first two chapters of the textbook. By Thursday I should have at least the first draft of my essay done.

And, in the meantime, I should try to participate in the online discussions that the teacher is stimulating and monitoring. Maybe I'd better start reading ahead. It will be too easy to fall behind in this course.

Wish me luck.

No comments: