Thursday, July 27, 2006

Work, Work, Work

Well, that's my excuse, anyway. There have been a large number of twelve-hour shifts, with two or three day breaks in-between. But there are other things at play as well.

I've been seriously stewing over the idea of (semi-)retiring soon. (That is, cutting down to one, preferably part-time, job.) I've talked it over with the wife, filled out the forms (though they aren't mailed as yet) and notified the Employer from whom I'm retiring. The magic date is October 1.

It isn't without some anxiety and some dissatisfaction. At this point I'm waiting for Employer number two to offer me a job I've applied for. It would be an improvement in that it would be within walking distance of home (a half hour one way), and be only eight-hour shifts.

The downside is that it is full-time. Working five and occasionally six days in a row doesn't sound like semi-retirement to me. But I'll give it a try. I have three months in which to return to my part-time job at the hospital.

In the meantime, I've applied for admission to the local college and taken the English Placement Test. I'm qualified for the entry-level English course, the best possible outcome. I'll be eligible to register for a course in the late Fall for a January start. The college is just a half-hours walk away from home as well. Let's seen how this pans out.

So I'll try to finish off the travelogue and do a little commentary on things of interest in the coming weeks and months.

No comments: