Saturday, April 22, 2006

Up for a Breath

Work, work, work: yech. Twelve-hour shifts, four and five at a go, with two days off in-between, is just too stiff a pace for this aging man. There is some light on the horizon, however.

The Employer and the Pension Corporation agree that I'm in the unique position of being able to retire from one set of jobs (a part-time and a casual) while retaining another, part-time, job. With changes coming to the community clinic that's within walking distance of home, I'm aiming to move my semi-retirement there. While the details are being worked out I'll be working a stiff six twelve-hour shifts in a row (Monday to Saturday), with one week off at the community clinic (ah blessed Spring). Currently this arrangement (which I've questioned the Union about) would last into late June. After that, a more rational and permanent arrangement would be put in place.

I plan to hold onto the first job until October 1st, when I can (semi-)retire without penalty. So a rough Summer may lead to a Blessed Autumn, Deo Volens.

No comments: