Friday, February 24, 2006

the governance of the seminary (part two)

I stayed a couple of nights at the seminary in Washington, D.C. in the early seventies. I have queasy memories of a homily on the feast of Saint Francis of Assisi that was so inane as to defy mocking. It was then that I realized that priestly formation in North America was seriously deficient. Anyway I'm following Clayton Emmer's review of his seminary experience with interest. This latest instalment is enlightening, if a bit depressing:

the governance of the seminary (part two):

"Is there a spirit of harmony and ecclesial communion among the formation faculty members? Do they show a sincere sentire cum Ecclesia? Do they give a good example of priestly living? Another million-dollar question, which seems applicable to any Catholic institution of higher learning.

As I look back on my seminary experience, this was perhaps the thing that surprised and saddened me the most. In..."



(Via The Weight of Glory.)



Read the whole thing.

No comments: